Ad (728x90)

Thursday 24 September 2015

Filled Under:

When your kitchen loses its virginity...

Random
There is nothing sexual here, I am talking about the first time when a kitchen that is being used to cook the same old kinds of food for years suddenly get to make a different type of continental delicacy even though there is an absence of proper tools and utensils for it.  You are left with confusing decisions because of it and mostly end up in a frustrating failure. Some can be downright dangerous and may cause an explosion and/or severe burns. Cooking is technically a chemical process. You are undertaking a chemical reaction. You may not get the desired results even after spending a great deal of time standing near the fire. Without proper tools and utensils, the right temperature, and pressure will not happen and the chemical reaction will not be properly initiated/maintained.

The prime example in most Indian kitchens is baking a cake. You see, traditional Indian cuisine don't require an oven, even a tandoor is seldom used. Fire top cooking is the norm. So in the absence of an oven and in constant pursuit of trying out something new, some brilliant Indian discovered a method called "cooker cakes". You pour the cake batter in the tin, place a trivet inside a cooker, place the tin above it and then proceed to how you cook rice in them, sans water. 

The process actually work pretty neat with a nicely spongy and crusty top cake. But the waterless cooking destroys the cooker on the long run. Its not designed for dry heat. It looses its shape and pressure sealing ability and may explode in the future.

A few years back, when OTGs became cheap and more energy efficient, my parents bought a smart Morphy Richards one that was pretty easy to operate and does it's job pretty well. This was followed by a few months spend on purchasing baking vessels and other equipment. I found a new interest in baking. 

In my blog language, I would say this as an upgrade rather than a rape. My kitchen lost its virginity more than a decade back when we tried making jellies from gelatin.

Religlious reasons aside, my household was a strict no no on pork and alcohol and any "exotic meats" for that matter. I realised it was all sort of a huge drama when I was 11. OK, I won't go details regarding that here.

The OTG purchase opened a whole new world of great continental cooking, most of the things I tried came out pretty well.


Then, having read everything good about Bacon, I baked some in the oven. It was the first time anything pork was being prepared in my house's 33 years of history. It was like a second rape. The house was filled with rather amazing aroma of baking pork. I had it alot, my dad ate a little but he liked it and mom didn't take even a single bite. 

I felt this event was even more serious, I felt everything in the house making a melancholic look for me breaking a tradition, since the aroma was spreading everywhere in the house. I felt the house had lost a second virginity this time.

But what the heck? Its your house and you are paying the gas and electricity bill! Let the flavors and aromas dance in the kitchen floor! Alas, all the world cuisine we know originated from someone's kitchen breaking a tradition!

Unknown

Author & Editor

Enjoy reading and be open to the things that world has to offer.

0 comments :

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © Talented Jobless ™ is a registered trademark.
Designed by Templateism . Hosted on Blogger Platform.